No-holds-barred Thanksgiving feasts can be tricky to navigate when you are trying to keep your blood sugar in control. But before you surrender to foods that make your glucose sky rocket, consider this twist on a comfort food classic based on a Prevention magazine recipe. Start off the fall feast with this aromatic and vitamin-rich soup to keep hunger and portions in check.
Included in this recipe is Curry Powder… a popular spice mix that has a number of valuable health benefits:
- Blood Sugar Regulation
- Protection against Heart Disease
- Ease Pain and Inflammation
- Boost Bone Health, plus much more…
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
½ cup white wine or apple juice
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
¼ tsp salt
½ cup low-fat plain yogurt, at room temperature
- PLACE the squash, cut side down, on a microwaveable tray. Microwave on high power, rotating once, for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes. Scoop out the flesh and place in a large bowl.
- MEANWHILE, warm the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the curry powder and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the wine or apple juice. Bring to a boil. Add the broth, the reserved squash, and salt. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes.
- TRANSFER the soup to a blender or food processor in batches. Puree until smooth. Return to the pot. Stir in yogurt.
Nutrition (per serving) 74 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 2 g protein, 12 g carbohydrates, 4 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 317 mg sodium
Key Ingredient Benefits
Butternut Squash: Most varieties of winter squash are rich in vitamins C and A (in the form of beta-carotene), two antioxidants that help prevent cancer, heart disease, and some eye problems. That’s why color is important–the darker the squash, the more beta-carotene and other nutrients it contains. Winter squash is also a good source of iron and riboflavin.
Chicken broth: This has been used for treating common colds for centuries. The heat, fluid, and salt may help in the removal of pathogens. Also, the broth may contain important minerals in a form the body can absorb easily – calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. The gelatin present in the broth contains amino acids to support health.
Curry Powder: This ingredient can have a blend of several different spices but usually include coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, and red pepper in their blends. Many of curry ingredients show potential benefits for inflammation, cardiovascular health, immunity, blood sugar regulation, and cancer prevention.
Onion: This common ingredient contains a number of flavonoids, one being quercetin (found in Juvenon’s Energy Formula). This nutrient has been demonstrated in studies to protect the liver, cool the fire of inflammation and has anti-cancer properties. Quercetin may help in weight control by reducing fat synthesis and increasing fat burning.
Yogurt: This healthy dairy fav contains lactobacillus, a probiotic demonstrated to have positive effects on the health of the digestive system as well as the immune system. Yogurt is rich in calcium, phosphorus, riboflavin-vitamin B2 and iodine and contains vitamin B12 (found in Juvenon’s Energy Formula), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), zinc, potassium, protein and molybdenum.
Super Saver (Auto-Refill) Program DetailsJuvenon will ship your product to you monthly or another interval you choose at 30% off retail price. Your credit card will be charged at the time of shipment. There is no minimum time commitment. To cancel, suspend, alter or adjust shipments, contact Customer Service.
- Slows down bone loss
- Stimulates new bone growth
- Supports bone strength & health
|Regular Price - $44.95|
|Save 30% - $31.47 per bottle
When you choose Super Saver (Auto-Refill)
|Buy 4 Get 1 Free|